Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Product Photography

Over the past couple of years, my photography approach has changed considerably.

I started off using a piece of wood flooring (a sample from Home Depot) and I took the pictures outside in natural light. I had lots of problems with this approach. Firstly, the pictures had shadows on them. The light also didn't really show the dichroic glass I use very well, it was almost too sparkly and you couldn't see the detail. I tried indoor pictures, but, the light would give a yellow tinge to the pics and the colours would look 'off'.
Shadows...!
Then, I switched to a piece of granite (a spare piece from where our bathroom sinks had been cut out from), but, it looked much too busy and distracted from the piece itself.
Busy background
I then switched to a while background, but, even this had its problems. The light problem was hitting me again, as was the shadow issue. Also an issue was the shade of white, depending on the light. I was spending so much time having to edit the photos for brightness, that the pictures didn't look cohesive in my Etsy storefront. I also felt that the white background was a little boring.

Grey background (even though it's white)
Glass presents so many problems when trying to photograph it. The reflective issues are great. It is also very difficult to truly show the depth of the colours and internal texture of dichroic glass, which is really beautiful.

I have now switched to using a wood-like floor tile. I also, after 2 years, discovered that it is best to photograph dichroic glass with no light on, in relatively low light, and against a non-white background.
Loving my current set up!
I bought a little pop up 'studio' from another local crafter and it's the perfect surround. I also found that my camera would decide if I needed a flash, unless I was able to manually override it, which I do with the help of an additional flash, that I simply turn off by the switch.
Simple, but works!
This brings me to my current style, which I'm really happy with. My Etsy Store looks cohesive and clean, but highlights my products perfectly.
Store looks somewhat cohesive

My tips for product photography -

- Use a background that has some interest, but not so that it detracts from your product. Your product needs to 'pop' at your potential customers.
-  Think about how your Etsy store looks - does it look messy and uncoordinated or does it look cohesive?
- If you have a digital SLR, here is your opportunity to use it! Even the pre-programmed settings can produce great pictures!
- Crop your pictures to show a view you want and have several views of your product, including a close-up and a picture with your product next to something of standard size so that your potential customer can see how big or small it is.
- Your pictures are all that your customer sees in an online setting, make them pop! Take the time to get great pics!

Share your tips for product photography!


No comments:

Post a Comment